As a recent issue of Vogue said, “the statement necklace is back, ladies – We hear you, did it ever really go away?”
Wearing bold, chunky statement jewelry is not governed by strict fashion rules and convention, so let your personality be your guide. Lean a bit more to a conservative wardrobe? One colorful, impressive statement necklace can add a bit of sizzle to your look without compromising your core style.
Find yourself wearing the same earrings all the time? Mix it up with long, dangly chandelier earrings and a wide cuff bracelet and watch your attitude soar!
Dramatic statement jewelry is the perfect finishing touch for everything from bridal, formal wear and cocktail dresses -- to your most comfortable t-shirt and jeans. Here are five tips on how to make sizzling fashion jewelry work best for your look:
1. For long, shoulder-grazing statement earrings go for a simple, open neckline. Wear your hair up or behind your ears. And rather than pairing those impressive earrings with a large, dramatic statement necklace, balance the fashion palette with a bold bracelet or exotic statement rings.
2. Want to wear a long necklace, something similar to our (shown right) Anya Statement Necklace? Try pairing it with a beltless look.
3. Don’t hide that wide cuff statement bracelet! Wear short or three-quarter length sleeves. Sweeten the look with long chandelier statement earrings.
4. A plunging neckline will tend to compete with a large statement necklace. It might be a better idea to go with long earrings or a stack of bracelets. For the simple neckline, bring out the heavy artillery: a bold, glamorous statement necklace paired with a dramatic, chunky ring. With this look, keep the earrings small and elegant, or go without.
5. For a daring, boho chic look, you can wear your favorite chunky necklace with bold patterns, florals and stripes – but classic tops, simple necklines and dresses in solid or muted colors will make that extravagant necklace really pop and present a more refined, timeless style.
Keep these tips in mind, but remember statement jewelry is simply another colorful brush used in the art of dressing well. You are the artist, and you know there are no rules. As French composer Claude Debussy said, “Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.”